GGR240H1 - September 12 2010 - Lecture 1
History, Geography and Modernity
- Slide 1 - What is Historical Geography?
- Two reasons - historical geography allows us to know how the past was different, the changes that took palce
- 2 - it also helps us to parrall with the past -
Slide 2 - Abrief history of historical geography (since 1900)
- 1950 - cold war, math , geometry - gov’t were driving new scientific innovation
- 1970 - a new group of people come that tell that we should not forget how humanity lived
Slide 3 - Three themees of Recent Concern
- Geogrpahers have turned into their own field, some may argue that its something used for war, like tactics, and other
- Contextual - a map are all products of content- the result of work - where maps come from and how much they were
invested with power.
- PICTURE ( polar projectiong was none existing before WW2 , the map is powerfully linked to its context)
- Social Life and human Identety - our attachment to the world, of how do we think about the world has changed.
- ex. Vancouver picture, the Shaughnessy was basicaly a piece of England built away from home.
- as many other canadian neighbourhoods, culture, history, identy are coincide closely together
Slide 6 - Human - Environmental Relations
- the picture - Capitalist Nature
Slide 7 -
- 3 themes of historical geography -
Slide 8 - Modernity
- Modernity was born in the wake off Columbos , where other voyagers followed him to the new world, and that’s started
the new invention and innovations
- Modern required a new meaning, and it was progress, it required to move on, constantly in process and ordinary people
intervene and change.
- United States was becomign a modern place, because of its form of gov’t , its constitu