7 March, 2013
White washing of parts of Bombay.
The city itself become an infected space. Become a space that needs to be treated.
A twofold response:
- get to know and enumerate the population
- Inoculation of the city itself as well as people.
- We need to disinfect the city itself
- Working the scale of the body all the way to city space.
- We have to knowledge and disease.
- creating an empire of knowledge
- define – a subject (e.g. rioters)
- transform – the unknown into the known
- represent – in a variety of ways
- make- something new
- takes this in terms of the disease. To define the subject.
- making a set of calculation about how they should proceed.
- They make calculations and mobilization of material things. Such as
buildings, body or street.
- What sort of policy is going to be put in place.
o E.g. White washing the wards.
- What is the financial aspect of this? How to gather money
- All calculation made by individual which creates material spaces.
To know India
- census making was part of broader intellectual movement to know India
They introduces census to understand the population in India
- India is an ethnographic field by European to know about that world and
the knowledge can be used back in Europe
- to gather data for urban population.
- Census as a form of knowing India.
- Maps were made and taken from census
1987 the advent of pleague
- in 1901, they create a data about census
- e.g. census books.
- Tabulated and cross tabulated and published at very small scales