Class Notes (836,294)
Canada (509,749)
Geography (975)
GGR270H1 (38)
Lecture 7

Lecture 7 - October 31.

4 Pages
53 Views
Unlock Document

Department
Geography
Course
GGR270H1
Professor
Damian Dupuy
Semester
Fall

Description
October 31 – Lecture 7 Confidence Intervals IV (IMPORTNAT FOR EXAM) ________________________________________ 1-a a a/2 Za/2 .90 .10 .05 1.645 .95 .05 .025 1.96 .98 .02 .01 2.33 .99 .01 .005 2.58 (a – isAlpha) Example – to say We are 95% or watever confident that our sample will fall in the following range – For 95% confidnent there is 5% chance it wont be – If we undertook a sample, --> 95% will contain population Parameter and 5% of them wont When dealing with Sampling distribution – the numbers above are the ones that are always needed and be used. If we have a 95% confidence then there is 5% significance Choosing Correct Sample Size – The only way we could have it all – high level of confidence and high level of precision is to increase the number of sample size – it gets steaper , the small distribution around the mean – therefore, the smaller the number of error . – Therefore we could be more precise in our – How prices/close – accuracy means --> does our sample actually reflect the – how close our smaple really easy to our population sample. ??? not sure - Total amount of information is due to: – Sampling design used – Sample size n – the bigger the sample – the more information about the population it will tell – But, how many observations should be included in the sample? – Greater or equal to 30 – the more the better – Have to consider the relationship between the width of the interval and the level of confidence – the width increases and we have to be concerned about it – increasing of interval width, increases confidence – but decreases precision – Only way to increase confidence without increasing the width, is to increase sample size – to have a small interval and have a high confidence, increase the SAMPLE*** Chosing Correct Sample Size II – Taking a sample larger than necessary wastes time and effort (very costly) – Factors to consider are: – Type of sample i.e. Random, Stratified etc. – Population parameter being estimated – is it the mean or std deviation ?? – Degree of Precision (width of confidence interval) – Level of Confidence – what level of confidence do i require and what level i will be testing – the only way to increase to confidence and decrese the width is to increase sample – At a particular confidence level, increasing the sample size provides greater precision, and narrows the confidence interval Choosing Correct Sample Size III (CHECK BOOK) Za/2 S n = ( E )2 Where E is the amount of sampling error the researcher is wiling to tolerate For Data measured in proportions, the formula is ... ____ Za/2 /pq n= ( E )2 EXAMPLE: 1. Urban planner wants to estimate the mean number of people per household 2. Using 90% confidence level, and stating that their estimate will be within .3 persons of the true population mean. 3. S is determined through pre-sampling to be 1.25 4. What is the minimum number of households that must be sampled? Using formula Za/2S (1.65) (1.25) n = ( E )2 ---> n= ( .3 )2 = 47.26 or 48 households Therfore, he/she needs a random sample of, at least 48 households to ensure that level of precision at the 90% confidence level. Estimation – Small Samples – When n
More Less

Related notes for GGR270H1

Log In


OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Sign up

Join to view


OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.


Submit