Conservation of Energy
- Leyden Jar electricity was thought of a fluid. It was thought of as a bottle of
- “Animal” Electricity – metal he was using was charged where the electric affect
was coming from. Thought source was the frog’s tissue. A new type of electricity
and called it animal electricity.
- Voltaic Pile – galvanism. Became skeptical and didn’t believe in animal
electricity. Discovered a Current must be added to animal tissue to make it move.
2 different types of metals separated by sponge and wetness created by
electrolyte. One of those units will give you a direct current. As you add on more
units, you increase the voltage. Gave experimenters a steady current over a
sustained period of time. Before this, they used friction machines. Voltaic pile put
a rest to those efforts. Ben Frank used this.
- Electromotive measured in volts
- Vulnerability between charge and motive work
- Loadstones – understood by middle ages you could use magnets for navigation.
Did understand that magnets could be used to orient yourself. Descartes had a
screw model of magnetism. Effort to give mechanical explanation of this
- Faraday – become preoccupied with studying magnetism. Came up with lines of
force. Mathematical ability was poor. Experimental work innovative. Greatly
illuminated relationship between magnetism and electricity.
- Oersted –
- Ampere – aimed to show convertability between one another and convertability in
one direction. Wind up wire create a circuit in a pile, you get something that acts
like a magnet. Farady showed oppose affect. Deduce a current. Through moving
of a magnet, you could induce electrical current.