Containment & Confrontation
- early 1946, Truman no longer care what the Soviets think of the Americans. We can tailor our policy to
please the Russians.
-> American attitude reinforced because of Soviet actions in 1946
-> Feb t July 1946
1) Turkey: Potsdam Conference. Soviets wanted bases established in Turkey to preserve
national interests. They wanted clear access to the Straits. This was a threat to Turkey
1) wants Kars as a province. Kars was lost to Turkey.
2) Ardahan. Turkey was a neutral state during second world war but a haven for
Nazi activities -> German spies
3) to revisit 1936 Montreal Convention t was an amendment to the Straits
which gave free hand to Turkey who determines which state is allowed to pass
through the Straits. Russians wanted a say and supervision over the Straits and
free access to the Mediterranean.
-> Turkey refused, but Stalin military was weaker, so summer 1946, Russians demands
pulled off the table since Russians backed down t they were not strong enough to
attack Turkey. Russia did not want confrontation.
2) Iran: Russians in 1946
1) oil preserves was a crucial interest, esp in 1941. Britain and Russians, in
August 1941, detached forces to invade Iran -> Operation Countenance, even
though Operation Barbarossa was going on. Iran government was supporting
Nazi Germany. Jan 1942 between Iran, Soviet Union and Britain guaranteeing
independent of Iranian state within 6 months after end of war. Russians did not
want this guarantee after. Summer 1946, Russians agree to pull out because not
strong enough for confrontation. From Jan t July 1946, they managed to
establish 2 P}o[s Republic in Iran t Azerbauan and Kurdistan.
- Roosevelt denounced sphere of influence
- Kennan: communism needed to be contained
- Greece was given to Churchill, was placed in the British sphere of influence and Stalin lived up to that
from 1944 to early 1945.
Early 1946, truman no longer care what the soviets think of the americans. We can tailor our policy to please the russians. > american attitude reinforced because of soviet actions in 1946. > feb j july 1946: turkey: potsdam conference. Soviets wanted bases established in turkey to preserve national interests. This was a threat to turkey independence: wants kars as a province. Turkey was a neutral state during second world war but a haven for. Nazi activities -> german spies: to revisit 1936 montreal convention j was an amendment to the straits which gave free hand to turkey who determines which state is allowed to pass through the straits. Russians wanted a say and supervision over the straits and free access to the mediterranean. > turkey refused, but stalin military was weaker, so summer 1946, russians demands pulled off the table since russians backed down j they were not strong enough to attack turkey.