HIS103Y Lecture 45 March 28th.
The Resurgence of the Allies, 1942-43
- Hitler was arbiter of Europe by 1940.
- Churchill replaced Chamberlain
o Saw U.S. would help Britain.
Brit can resist.
- Americans were pursuing the policy of isolationism
o Roosevelt sold war material to Brit by signing pact on 1937
One condition: the Brit had to pay in cash, to carry by own
‘Cash and carry policy’
- Brit was in financial bankruptcy
o Limited spending on US
- Roosevelt decided to offer Britain to purchase war material by land lease
o Outside Land lease for 99 yrs. Land – arsenal barter.
o U.S. was arsenal for democracy
- 1941 Roosevelt and Churchill met.
o Important agreement in WWII
They would promote freedom, democracy and resist Nazis
Guarantee every states sovereignty
Freedom of speech, religion, want (ensured world market),
United Nation would pick up all of these issues
Offered Stalin alliance.
Even though Stalin saw them enemies, they needed him
to defeat Nazis
It was like Richelieu offered protestant states an
- 1942 U.S and U.K. met in Washington
o saw Nazi should be the primary opponent
Even though Japan was threat
o Grand Alliance is in the forming
- Hitler still wanted to defeat Soviet Union
o Operation Barbarossa failed
- Operation Blue commenced in 1942
o Relying on Blitzberg
o September 1942 2 months after reached oil fields
Romanian oil fields were not