HIS103Y Lecture 38 March 5th.
The Search for Security and Stability, 1920-30
The Foreign Policy of Nazi Germany
- Most criticized the Paris Peace Treaty
o It wasn’t easy to give all states the right to self-determination
o It wans’t easy to settle the territorial issue
- All in all, treaty wasn’t that bad
- Nevertheless, French wanted to beat Germany as much as possible
- France vs. Germany to come
- The German new minister, Stresemann, ordered Germans to work in factory -
> delivering the reparation money on time
o Slowly Turned the int’l to German side, isolated France
o Step by step to break the treaty
- Eventually rewrote the reparation early 1924.
- 1925 control commission to supervise German disarmament
o Report published 1925, accused Germany of violating every single
article of the treaty
Exceeded 100,000 troops by –disguising the troops as police
and paramilitary forces. = Threatened French security
General stat supposed to be disbanded – renamed the stat.
Kept designing armors, tanks, weapons, etc.
Tried out the new designs at soviet territory during
- London compelled to accept German’s offer to change the treaty
o Needed Germany for trading and preventing the war btw France and
- Paris too.
o Worried of getting isolated from US and UK
o Better to go with British.
- The New Treaty – Treaty of Locarno negotiation started 1925
o Settle the issue of borderland.
The Rhine DMZ zone
German (Stresemann) gave it up voluntarily
In return, German raised colonial issues.
League of Nations
Germany accepted as member of leading council of
League of Nations permanently
Small violations of territorial issue should be blind eye.
Only big violations should be penalized by LoN
o Reduced German French tensions
It guaranteed safety in German western border But by so doing, left eastern border unattended. (Poland and
A Green light for aggress