HIS103Y Lecture 36 February 27th.
The Paris Peace Conference 1919
How did the peace treaty become so controversial?
1918- Wilson proposed peace treaty, Germany accepted.
Germany would treat equal like great powers.
1919 – diplomats from 27 independent states gathered in Paris
high casualties –whether direct or indirect => Spanish flu
so, people welcomed the treaty and saw Wilson as a savior of Europe.
Hwv, Wilson’s diplomacy was somewhat Utopian approach.
French wanted to have an assurance by his allies that they will stand by France no matter what.
- French constituted only 16%, end of first world war 10% of Europe population.
- Also France declined in power and diplomatic prestige.
- Germany outnumbered France in military production
- France advocated their national interest. – realistic diplomacy
- US hwv refused French’s demand for a tangible alliance.
o Because Wilson’s primary goal is to let no military alliances to form.
o French (Clemenceau, the Tiger) argued, if no alliance, lets make Germany
And… by breaking them apart again.
French kind of wanted Rhine territories with coal and steel.
o Hwv, breaking up would violate the National self determination
Every nation has its own right to set its country.
- The idea of The League of Nations was proposed by Wilson and accepted by
o Hwv, it was rejected by the Americans.
We cannot properly involve European affair without American input.
- The United States, Italians, French, British, allies of Britain and Japan, and entente
gathered early spring of 1919.
o 14 points were implemented. By Wilson.
Shutting down Germany basically.
o Germany stormed out.
o Italian interest was solely on territorial compensation.
Received territories almost every where Italians lived.
But Italian Orlando wanted more