On Statecraft and Strategy
Key words Notes
OTZI-ice • We are naturally prone to violence – think hobbes.
man. Died Lives are short, brutish, violent, and ugly.
violently. • OTZI-ice man. The remains are five thousand
hundren years old. Discovered in italty in a shelf of
rock that was exposed thanks to global warming.
• It was obvious after the initial investigation- that
these were one of the oldest intact remains of
someone who had been killed.
• Finally, in November of 2010, a full autopsy was
done which revealed that the human died violently.
• Scars, and cuts on his hands proved that he had
died in a fight. He was representative of the human
remains that were stretching back to more than
Emergenc hundred years
e of • 3 quarters had died violently. The natural condition
of human was the prominent on-going conflict.
Sovereign • 75% people in history died violently but in this
modern century the percentage is only 2.
• Development that explains this reduction in violence
is the emergence of sovereign state.
• The sovereign state with a centralized government
has emerged to enforce peace, and justice and to
rid the world f violence.
• Sovereign state explains the phenomena of the
Four S’s. decline of violence across states
sustenanc • States will come together to a central government
to a central state??
society • Speaking overall-least sovereign state managed to
and establish themselves as a universal governing. They
security satisfied the fundamental human needs. This
satisfaction of fundamental
• Four S’s. sustenance, shelter, society and security.
• They are mirrored by the basic interests of..?
• National interests
National - diplomatic: societal
interests. - Economics
- Cultural: societal
- Strategic: personal security
• Physical survival is the most fundamental of the The national interest. It is the preconditioned need that
fundament needs to be satisfied before you can even
al contemplate anything else.
requrimen • The fundamental requirement was satisfied from
ts. state to state. Enforcing peace and satisfied th
• There is a demand from people to the government
to be protected as a people.
• The primary function of a state is to reserve the
collective security of its people. If a state fails to do
that then no matter how long it has lived, no matter
how many years it has flourished for, the people will
withdraw it’s support
• Example: WWI. They threw out the Austrian, Russian
governance because they were not doing their job
any long. They failed to protect their people so they
At the government fell
the 20 th • The fundamental purpose of a state is to
century protect its people.
• That challenge has gotten more complex and
we see an difficult. And has become more of a demanding
e of a