Mon. Dec. 3
The French Revolution
- All feudal privileges were abolished
- 26 of August, Declaration of the Citizen and Rights of Man
- ^Basic principle for the constitution
- Concepts of John Locke
- Assignat: brilliant idea, but it wasn’t carefully managed, used as paper money
- The National Assembly had to give up land
- The peasants had no money to engage in this trade
- The richer got richer, the poorer got poorer
- 12 of July, 1790- civil constitution of the Clergy. Made the clergy civil
- Priests were to be elected. The wages of the clergy were fixed and paid by the
- All Churchman were forbidden to apply to become a pope
- The Church became independent
- The Clergy had to take an oath
- Division of France, was not just an issue of the Church, between the radical
elements who wanted to build a new society based upon rationalist ideas and
those who wanted to reform the system they knew- keeping the traditions of
French society in tact
- Ultramontanes- across the mountains
- Looked outside of France for a solution for these radical atheists.
- A bergois social structure put in place
- The King represented the executive.
- French local gov completely restructured
- Despite the claims of equality, people were not equal- divided between active
and non-active citizens.
- Only the active people who paid to be part of the government were only
allowed to vote
- Victory for the enlightened property owning middle class.
- Louis felt that he didn’t have enough power in the constitution
- Louis attempted to flee Paris to see his brother, unfortunately he was
- Family returned to Paris as prisoners
- Whatever affection the people had for the king evaporated.
- The constitution really didn’t have a chance. It was crushed by faction and
- The less enlightened environments soon captured the ears of foreign
- The holy Roman Emperor Joseph the 2 Marie Antoinette’s brother
- Joseph asked everyone to protect the King and his family
- The National Assembly realized that a pre-empted strike was all they could
do. - The National Assembly declared war against the Holy Roman Empire.
- If any harm came to the royal family, the people of France would pay
- A volatile group
- 3 groups had existed in the National Assembly Conservatives (wanted to
reform the sy