March 9 , 2011
The Disintegration of the Established Order
von Kahr Conspiracy
- No government or legitimate authority to stop it.
– Last authority to speak for the german people
- Wanted to know what form of the government the german people wanted
- Nov 19, 1918 – mass demonstration on the doorsteps of the Reichstag, creation of
- How to restore order and give some measure of security to the state
- Revolutionary Marxists/Leninist/communists
- Made an arrangement to use what was left of the army, bands of ex-soldiers.
- Rallied and called for specific reasons.
- Groups formed at the very end of the war (stuck with their officers)
- Saw the Bolshevik revolution as a great fear, didn’t want this to happen to
- Ex-soldiers and ex-officers were bitter and extreme
- From this group Adolf Hitler would pick for his group of stormtroopers
- 1919 attempted an armed revolution in Berlin (took over city)
- With Freikorps a vicious street battle
- Another battle broke out in Berlin, the Freikorps won and went to Munich.
F.Eber was elected as first premier for the new unstable german government
This state had no constitution and needed order .
New war minister summoned the old imperial general staff
The idea that the war was lost was an idea not accepted by a large number of
However the war minister backed down after what he saw (idea that the war could
go on with a separate german army)
The myth that the german army was not defeacted became a collected unconscious
for the germans.
Germans decided not to accept “defeat” (humiliation etc.)
The german army wanted to continue to fight – chose to believe the fact they didn’t
August 1919 – New basic Law
Weimar Republic – there was to be a president with wide authority, the belief that