THE STRUGGLE FOR EQUALITY
I. The Civil Rights Movement at High Tide
- Student Non-Violent Coordinating Committee (SNCC)
- Freedom Rides
- Birmingham, 1963
- March on Washington, 1963
- Mississippi Freedom Summer, 1964
II. Militant Black Activism
- The Struggle in the Urban North/West
- The Black Power Movement
- Malcolm X
- Stokely Carmichael and SNCC
- The Black Panther Party (Its Ten Point Program follows at end of outline)
III. Red Power
- The Historical Backdrop
- The American Indian Movement (AIM)
IV. The Revival of Feminism
- Betty Friedan, The Feminine Mystique
- National Organization of Women (NOW) Black Panther Ten-Point Platform
1. We Want Freedom. We Want Power To Determine The Destiny Of Our Black Community.
We believe that Black people will not be free until we are able to determine our destiny.
2. We Want Full Employment For Our People.
We believe that the federal government is responsible and obligated to give every man
employment or a guaranteed income. We believe that if the White American businessmen will not
give full employment, then the means of production should be taken from the businessmen and
placed in the community so that the people of the community can organize and employ all of its
people and give a high standard of living.
3. We Want An End To The Robbery By The Capitalists Of Our Black Community.
We believe that this racist government has robbed us, and now we are demanding the overdue debt
of forty acres and two mules. Forty acres and two mules were promised 100 years ago as
restitution for slave labor and mass murder of Black people. We will accept the payment in
currency which will be distributed to our many communities. The Germans are now aiding the
Jews in Israel for the genocide of the Jewish people. The Germans murdered six million Jews. The
American racist has taken part in the slaughter of over fifty million Black people; therefore, we
feel that this is a modest demand that we make.
4. We Want Decent Housing Fit For The Shelter Of Human Beings.
We believe that if the White Landlords will not give decent housing to our Black community, then
the housing and the land should be made into cooperatives so that our community, with
government aid, can build and make decent housing for its people.
5. We Want Education For Our People That Exposes The True Nature Of This Decadent American
We Want Education That Teaches Us Our True History And Our Role In The Present-Day Society.
We believe in an educational system that will give to our people a knowledge of self. If a man does
not have knowledge of himself and his position in society and the world, then he has little chance
to relate to anything else.
6. We Want All Black Men To Be Exempt From Military Service.
We believe that Black people should not be forced to fight in the military service to defend a racist
government that does not protect us. We will not fight and kill other people of color in the world
who, like Black people, are being victimized by the White racist government of America. We will
protect ourselves from the force and violence of the racis