INI115: Introduction to Film Study
Date: 23 Oc
1) Introduction to ﬁlm sound
2) Functions of ﬁlm sound
3) Fundamentals of ﬁlm sound
4) Dimensions of ﬁlm sound
Introduction to ﬁlm sound
• Sound is distinct from mise-en-scène, cinematography, and editing in a couple of
ways: it comes to us via a separate strand of technology, and it became a permanent
component of ﬁlm style much later historically.
• Moreover, it often proves more difﬁcult to analyze for a variety of reasons, including
the fact that it is generally considered ancillary to the ﬁlm image and cannot be frozen
in time for the purposes of study.
• Have to be more attentive when we listen to the sound in movies
Some of the most salient functions of ﬁlm sound
-to direct the spectator's attention
• Auditory cues.
• By making a sound mucho louder than the mother, causes or attention.
-to shape how images are interpreted
-to set mood
-to create motifs
-to deﬁne onscreen space and create off-screen space
-to mask cuts (by creating expectations and through sound bridges and dialogue
• Causing expectations
-to enable silence to signify Fundamentals of ﬁlm sound
1. Perceptual properties
• types of sound: speech, music, and noise (or sound effects)
• acoustic pr