MGY378 – Feb 6
Noon to one – McCaul – EX100 – multiple choice questions – 30 questions – 3 per lecture
- If discussed in lecture, then KNOW IT
- If not discussed but in lecture, ignore
How do they replicate? How do they damage you? What diseases caused by which family?
Symptoms – graphic deaths – know
Five M/C are none of the above
Which of the following statemtents is incorrect regarding he transmission of viruses within a
- Poliovirus transmission ivolves the absorption of the virus by the intestional tract
- Influenza virus is transmitted through aerosols
- African horse sickness virus is transmitted via the oral fecal route – WRONG – transmitted by
- Yellow fever is transmitted via insect bites
Which of the following statemtns is incorrect regarding poliovirus replication?
- Virus particle lacks lipid envelope
- RNA genome has a protein covalently attached to 3’ end of rNA
- Infection by poliovirus results in shut off of host mRNA translation due to cleavage of ElF4G
- Addition of two U residues to Vpg is required for the priming of + strand RNA synthesis
Which of the following statemtns is correct regarding rhe replication of flaviviruses?
- Most flaviviruses genomic RNA lack a 5’ cap
- Viral RNA is translated as a polyportein in the cytoplasm
- prM protein functions to block the fusion activity of the E protein
- virus entry occurs via direct fusion with the plasma membrane
- CCCCCCCCCCCCCCC – conserve fusion activity of E until it gets out of the cell
Which is the most frequently transcribed and translated gene in Coronoaviruses?
- Pol (replicase transcriptase complex)
Amantadine is an antiviral
- Effective against influenza A, B, and C
- Blocks M2 of influenza A only
- Inhibits the release of new influenza A virions from infected cells
- Inhibits RNA polymerase of orthomyxoviruses
- Interferes with HA binding to its receptor to prevent infection - BBBBBBBBBBBBBBB – M2 required for acidification because needed for release of genome into
o Influenza A is the most virulent – so want to target this
o M2 is ion pump so involved in acidification
Wht is ambisense coding strategy that is used by bunyaviridiae?
- Transcription of mRNA from both genomic rNA and antigenomic RNA
- Transcription of mRNA from genomic RNA strand in two different directions
- Translation of a single mRNA bidirectionally
- A single gene that is made into a on functional and functional protein
- A gene that is tanscribed into one protein when replicating in the invertebrate host and into a
different one in the vertebrate host
What is the theoretical maximum number of NEW progeny (excluding the parent pair) of genetic
reassortment in bunyaviridae?
- 6 = 2^3 because three segments subtract parental, so SIX
Which of the following statements is incorrect regarding flioviruses
- Infection in duces vascular leakage due to diss