(1) Geography Cont...
- Geographical factors shaped Egyptian mindset:
o Nile: highway. Didnt need wheels, Nile was all important.
o Contrasts: Fertile land/desert. Delta/valley. Fertile land is oasis, creation
took place here, desert is where foreigners live and they are barbaric.
- Delta is V shape: it is fertile.
- South of Egypt is narrow. -> Delta and south used in literature; used to make
metaphors: Something something is like a man from delta found himself in valley.
- Three branches in Delta: Rosetta, Damietta, and Pelusiac (now dry).
- When flood hits, ports and branches are fully flooded. Little tiny pieces of land stay
while the rest are drowned. Called “Turtle backs.”
o Used for creation myth. Rises from chaos and nothingness (water), rises
(turtlebacks) and etc.
- Nile valley has very narrow cultivation.
- Delta= lower Egypt, Valley= upper Egypt.
- Kana bent? Bent in valley water where pyramids and other shit are.
- North: Mediterranean Sea
- North-East: Sinai
- East: Eastern Desert.
- South: at Aswan
o –First of five cataracts/rapids
- West: Libyan Desert.
*Define cataract, frontier.
South: First Cataract
- Formation of igneous rock
- Before Aswan High dam
- Today several islands flooded
- Some temples shifted
North: Mediter. coast
- A lot has been flooded.
- Coastline that can be defended well.
East: East desert, sinaia, red sea West: Libyan desert and oases
- Inhabitants a bit different.
o Dress, customs, culture.
o Lit. Have them coming to Egypt: Foreigners.