Buddhism sept 9
4short quizzes each.
last quiz everything after fourth quiz
• format of quiz essay type
probe those movements of issues not about how well you memorize
the information in lectures and textbooks requires you think about those
movements of issues in a critical way, the way that these quizzes will
be graded they'll be mark in a similar way that will be marking term
papers. not about right or wrong. can argue about something that goes
completely opposite what i or textbook pretends to you, you can be
argumentative or critical about my lecture or textbook material if you
have multiple ors ound argument to support what you say.
• help to get you to look at certain issues from a more insightful ways.
• Religion doesn't really have a definition, all the 100 religions are
• buddhism as a religion being understood form a western perspective,
any sort of ism that ends with ism is something that has being
summarized interpreted from a western perspective as well, is it a
religion or a philosophy i have no answer for that, be open for the idea
that it can be something more then a religion a philosophy.
we approach the study of a buddhism is a from a objectivist
perspective as a outsider perspective.
• theology is more approaching the bible from a insiders perspective a
• to understand the nature of god fmor the perspective of a practitioner.
• religious studies is a academic discipline closer to philosophy
• the approach that it takes is to critically examine a tradition through
text historical document.
• all these other information and artifacts or art as well to come up with
a different stance in understanding that particular religion.
• buddha nature all living beings ducks insects, all living beings are
born with the buddha nature, we are all born enlightened by nature were the same as buddha, the whole teaching is about why were not
enlightened now etc.
• not the idea you need to go through a number of year of practices so
you can accumulate enough of something to reach buddah hood its not
about that, its not that idea, its the idea any minute any second the right
inspiration can come, we can all attain enlightenment, because the
buddah nature in are selves. that spoken in a religious way a very
buddhist way of speaking , if you expand and elaborate lot of
inspirations for us to understand deeper of are buddah psychology, why
were angry how to be a better human being
• non religious ways the doctrine can help[ us understand of are selves.
• two text books u of t book store.
i like you to think if engaged buddhism is a heretical movement with
in main stream buddhism or is it trying to revive something that is
already in the teaching of the buddah.
• i want to see if buddhas teaches are already angaged or these new
movements modifying the teaching of buddah in a different way that
• there are always engaged emblems in the teaching of the buddah,
buddah did not try to change society but he tried to find a alternative to
the orthodox view of a society, gave people a opportunity to explore his
back how ever many years a ago the orthodox religion is india known
as hinduism, back in this time known as the (vedic) the big religion
( veda) is the sacred scripture 12th 13th century there westernizers,
described this vedic tradition as hinduism. hinduism is a western word.
• the practioners in india never called there religion hinduism.
• with in this orthodox with of the world and universe, came up with
ideas that are human kinds can be hierachly be classified in to different
• so called caste system, the society the structure would be something
like a pyramid, dividing the population in to four different classes (4) the highest would be the priest, followed by the kings, warriors,
merchants, slaves or servants.
• The entire society is stratified in to these four different classes, this
distinction is hierarchal, the hierarchy is measured in terms of purity, it
means that if your a priest, you are the most pure, your common, your
up bringing, your blood. followed by etc.
• mosti mpure servants and slaves, because of this hierarchy there an
understanding in the greater pif society if you were born in to the
merchant class, you will stay and remain for the rest of your life in that
class, don't ever think that you'll become a warrior one day, or inter
class marriage that may elevate your social status in any way.these
classes are something, that your born in to you can't choose, if your
father a merchant you'll be a merchant your father priests you'll be a
• you'll remain in that class for the rest of your life, those who operate
most privilege religion in society the top is ah and full of priests.
• elite take control of entire society, but the majority were the slaves
• we can see society in different classes, are system here not quite the
same as that, we have different opportunities you can go from one class
to the next, yo can be a employ today but tomorrow you can ave no
business and be a employer.
• that pyramid no hope back then to be in any class. that caste system
surprisingly lasted for a really long time, that system been in place for
• in many ways its surprising lets say rob ford toronto would do this
instantly see protests.
• how did this system last so long, this has something to do with the
indians belief in common, and reincarnation, indians believe this is not
the only life you have god. before you were born you were something
else in a society or the same society, after you die you always come
back in a reincarnated form.
• what links between previous life and future lives your half your
karma, will also determine your well being your social status of your
• there is also a believe in the ( vedic) position if you';l;l fulfill your
responsibility as your caste member if you behave well as merchant all duties prescribed to the merchants if you fulfill are duties prescribed to
prince you accumulate so much good karma for sure in your net life
you'll ascend your order in this caste system.
• this keeps people tamed not protesting once born in family o