CUES NOTES – Philosophy of MIND
Philosophy: Study of the most general and abstract features of the world and
categories with which we think. – Meanings and how they relate – What is good?
The Mind MIND – is the mind distinct from the body? Can we define what it is to be
conscious? What are thinking, feeling remembering, experiencing? – Giving
Two aspects of the mind: 1. The nature of the mind – 2. Personal Identity
1. The nature of the mind: what is the mind?
- Substance Dualism – the mind of a non-physical thing
- *Identity Theory – the mind IS the brain
- *Functionalism – the mind is how the brain functions; it need not be the brain
- Embodied – the mind is not just the brain; it’s the total brain/body organism
- Extended Mind – some aspects of our mind are out in the world
Personal Identity 2. Personal Identity – what it is to say that I am the same person I was last year
– What is it that allows us to say that?
- How is it that I know I’m the same person now that I was previously?
- What is a person?
- What do we mean by the same? The identity relation?
- How do we measure or understand this as persisting in time?
- Psychological Continuity
o The continuity of some psychological characteristic – memories,
beliefs, desires, etc.
- Bodily Continuity
o The continuity of one’s body – their physical make-up, etc.
Argument Argument: A set of claims that relate to one another such that some of them
serve to support another (others).
Example: Since it’s wrong to kill a human being, it follows that abortion is wrong,
because abortion takes the life of (kills) a human being.
- It’s wrong to kill a human being
- Abortion takes the like of a human being
- Abortion is wrong
Could rewrite it so that the first two are premises and the third is a conclusion
Validity Validity: an argument is valid just in case it’s impossible for all of its premises to
be true and yet its conclusion is false
Example: If the premises are true, the conclusion MUST be true
- If P then Q
- Therefore Q
Ex. If black cats bring bad luck and I have a black cat, then I’ll have bad luck