lecture notes for oct. 13, 2010
This preview shows half of the first page. to view the full 3 pages of the document.
Pol208: October 13, 2010 Lecture
• Feminism: different feminist critiques of IR
• IR has been one of the last fields to open up feminist theories. Within political
science it is still one of the fields with the smallest representation for women
• Bombs and rockets—international security
• What happens when we add gender to the analysis? How should this be done? We
need to ask if gender is important to IR, how best can it be achieved?
• In order to understand IR, we must include issues of gender
• What contribution does the international system have for the marginalization n of
women? How does the marginalization of women affect the international system?
Women are from Venus?
o More peaceful?
o Level of analysis
o Where is the mean?
o When we talk about women, are we talking about individuals or the fact
that their women?
o Is our level of analysis gendered?
o When claims that one gender is more peaceful than the other, does not
necessarily mean that all members of that gender will have the same
o Most of the population will be overlapping
• Debates within the feminist camp
o Liberal approach
! Institutions—equal opportunity
! Which will lead to more equality overall
o Radical approaches
! Its not just about laws and institutions, there are deeper structures
that construct what women appropriate for themselves
! A more deeper and radical change is therefore needed
• Women and war
o Should women be part of the armed forces? (Liberals vs. radicals)
! Liberals would say yes, radicals no, b/c it’s a man’s game
! Was is a patriarchal creation, thus women are subjecting
o The myth of protection
! Wars don’t protect women, women are most often the first victims
o A sharp increase in cases of mass rape as a tool of war (Balkans, Congo)
o The gender gap
! Women marginally are more peaceful than men
• Feminist theories in IR
• Ann Tickner
• Empiricism: the gender gap; women in war, etc.
You're Reading a Preview
Unlock to view full version