September 24 2013
Establishment of the PRC,
Anti-Rghtist Campaign & Great Leap Forward
- China went through tumultuous time since 1900s. For the party to reunite the country,
they must bring sense of euphoria. Managed to reunite country by defeating KMT and
forcing them to retreat.
- Country suffered tremendously during wars. Communists restored sense of national
pride, through peace restoration. However the country that party took over was largely
agrarian and economically backward.
- Priority of the party after it assumed power was to revive war ravaged economy and
eliminate any remaining opposition.
- Party faced problems while it tried to develop country: shortage of personnel,(mainly full
of guerilla warriors (former peasants and farmers, therefore lack experience to run a
country) Bureaucrats needed to run the country. CCP did 2 things to remedy this:
- 1.used KMT officials to manage the country(out of necessity)
- 2. Massive recruitment of urban youth, therefore party membership doubled.
- shortage of financial resources & lack experience: Party lacked experience in running a
country. Therefore it was only natural for CCP to look at Soviet union for assistance. But
they never intended to borrow soviet experience.
- Mao’s strong sentinent led to his independence from unquestionable imitation.
- 5 year plan: largely based on soviet. But 1956 began to modify the plan.
- The great leap forward (1959): Departure from soviet model since the sov. Model never
called for any rash advance.
- What is the soviet model? Urban biased strategy that favours urban areas and that is
where heavy industrial sector is found. Based on notion that fast growth is paramount
and to be modern meant to be industrialized. What it entailed is concentration. Of
resources (people and sector$) in the urban based heavy industrial. Where to get this?
Agriculture sector (farmers and resources).
- CCP tends to exploit 90% (agriculture culture) of population in order to make 10% of
population better off
- House Hold Farming vs collectivization
- House hold farming was condemned as capitalism. It means that each household can
use ownership rights over the land therefore capitalist.
- Collectivization seen as greater output growth.
COLLECTIVIZATION (opposite is individual household farming):
- As Idea of collectivization carried further, communes were established to carry activities.
- Individual Houses collected together production stage (instead of each household
farming small plot of land, people pooled labour along with animals and plants= fair
share of output) farming decisions is done by head of production team.
- Production team sometimes form to create a brigade (higher stage