What is the Constitution?
• The supreme law of Canada
• It is applied in Canada and outside of Canada
• Charter of Rights and Freedoms is now part of the Constitution
What does the Constitution deal with?
• Who will rule?
• Who has power?
Living Tree Doctrine:
• The Constitution is 'alive'
• For example, it is not the Constitution that says same-sex marriage is possible, but the Supreme
Court of Canada
• It is the Supreme Court that breathes life into the Constitution
• Like a living tree, branches fall off over time
• For example, women obtained the right to be in the Senate in 1930
Not just a piece of paper:
• The Constitution reflects social movements and government institutions
• It shapes society
• In fact, some people accept same-sex marriage because the Court says that it i