Nov 8, 2012
• What is wrong with the world?
• What is the ideal state?
• What is his vision of human nature?
o Of history?
o Who am I?
• How does King read the Sermon on the Mount?
o How does he connect human history and divine history?
African American Community and the State
• America essentially founded on lies by
• Stating that “all men are created equal”
o Founded on such religious ideals, but so inherently racist
o Almost suggests that God would support these racist actions
Unrealistic since the bible tells us that we should all love
each other equally
• Slaves and plantations
o Alienation of African Americans
o From slaves and plantations to share cropping after the abolishment of
Created economically disadvantages for the African American
• Connection with Thurman and Jesus/Black community
o Economically disadvantaged
o Minorities in comparison to the prosperous white community
o Separate but equal schools
• Resistance of the black community in white institutions,
• Makes blacks feel as less of part of the state
• Rosa parks bus boycott
o Community carpool
Some walked for miles to get to work
The community was brought together by the resistant nature of
martin Luther king Jr.’s leadership 1. Brief history of AfricanAmerican Political Philosophy
2. Sources of King’s political vision