POL312Y – Canadian Foreign Policy
Lec 1 – Introduction
What is Canadian Foreign Policy?
• What is Canada?
◦ we are complex, idiosyncratic, and contradictory
▪ set of variables that are basically not replicated anywhere else in the world
▪ not all countries are created equally
• inflated sense of own importance (Denis Stairs) but we are a significant country
globally and regionally
▪ historically speaking, we were an aboriginal country first, then French country, then
British country, then multicultural country
▪ geography is crucial to Canadian experience – we have been shaped by our geography
• this land was once all aboriginal territory
• colonialism is ine