Lecture 6 Notes
- Is intelligence one skill or many skills?
- Should athletic ability be considered one skill or many different skills?
- Is intelligence a single thing? “this person bright, this person is dumb”
o Not always the case someone may be bright at some things but not others
- Autistics are people appear very challenged in some mental areas but have certain abilities that
exceed what normal people are expected to be able to do
- Autistic savant syndrome – used to be called “idiot savant syndrome” from the French word
idiot savant – idiot (idiot), savant (knowledgeable) thus the paradox
o Only 50 known cases in the world
o Ppl who are fairly severely autistic
o They have calendar calculation (the savant is given a date whenever in history and they
can tell you what day of the week this date was on)
o Often are able to perform amazing feats of memory (ex. Every postal code in Canada)
o They have great musical ability… sometimes they can learn complex musical pieces
o They often will learn and master many langu