Lec 10 Mental Health in the Community
• Prevalence of disorder outstrips availability of help
o 1/5 suffering from psychopathology based on statistics. May be much
o Community Psychology Intervention with specific groups of people who
are at risk. Prevention of psychopathology
o Who is at risk of developing psychopathology? Previously had a
psychopathology, low socio-economic status, related to someone with
• Prevention and Mental health promotion
o Reduces the incidence
Reduce stress, eliminate stress. Come up with categories to combat
Intervention to reduce the expression of the symptoms
• Promote mental health and wellbeing
• Functions as an enabler, consultant, planner rather than an expert in diagnosis
• Emphasizes collaboration and participation of diverse groups when planning,
developing methods of intervention.
• Designed to include all individuals when
• Number 1 reason people use and abuse substances is Availability
• Community psychologists suggested and implemented “just so no”
• Preventing risky behaviours and thoughts in high risks groups.
• Prevention has most effectiveness when it targets specific groups. Indicated
o Most stressful psychological condition a child can be in is no caregiver.
o Example of indicated groups can