PSYB64 Lecture 01
September 11, 2012
Intro Course Stuff
• Quiz at 9 o clock on week 3! So I’ll be able to make it (20MC q’s only on Chapter 2
• NO MAKEUPS FOR QUIZ!!
• Quiz/written assign (best mark = 10%)
• Written assign = rewrite a section of the textbook with new scientific information that is
not included in the relatively old edition of our textbook
o Rationale = why is your new info important
o Write actual section using same prose and format
You need to actually cite sci sources though!
o 3 pages-ish total
o Talk a bit about where you would place this info in the textbook
o And which part would you eliminate, if you would, to compensate that your part
actually is a newer version of
o This occurs after the term test
• Term test = week 7 or 8 = 40%
• Exam = 50% *Not cumulative!*
o Mainly m/c but some short written and some matching
• Textbook = Freberg’s Intro to Physio Psych blue and infrared person
o Everything covered unless prof says otherwise
o Free companion site with tutorial quizzes! Link will be posted on blackboard
o www.dayone.nelson.com/students = for study tips/other resources
o Textbook tax credit on income taxes! You qualify for $65 each month that you
took full-time courses
• You won’t be asked for dates! • * we don’t spend much time on addiction/drugs and the brain
• Descartes reflex theory
• Phrenology sham
Fact and Fiction Slides
• Some human nerve cells ARE 3 meters long (Ex. Feet to spinal cord)
• Nerve impulses travel at LESS than the speed of light
• More people die each year from the use of LEGAL drugs vs illegal drugs
• NOT only humans ingest mind-altering substances (Ex. Elephants have fermented fruit)
• Our bodies DO make chemicals that are similar in structure to heroin and marijuana and
act on the same sites in the brain
• BOTH women and men produce testosterone and estrogen, just in different proportions.
• BOTH humans and other species have cultures.
• we DO keep growing new nerve cells, called neurogenesis (ex. Neuroplasticity,
hippocampus, olfactory bulb, older parts of limbic system)
• Dogs are NOT color-blind just not to the same degree we can.
• Each side of the brain DOES control muscles on the opposite side of the body.
• There ARE anatomical differences between men’s and women’s brains. (Ex. Spatial
• It is TRUE that some animal species have ALL females. And some animal species
• Some people MIGHT be born gay but we don’t know for sure.
• Most of our energy IS expended just maintaining our body temp.
• We CANNOT lose weight through liposuction. (it returns to original levels after time). • Sleepwalkers ARE NOT acting out dreams.
• Prolonged sleep deprivation WILL make you temporarily crazy and can even KILL you.
• Some animals CAN have half their brain asleep and other half awake. (Ex. Dolphins)
• Left side of face IS more emotionally expressive than right side.
• Prolonged stress CAN cause heart disease.
• We are NOT CERTAIN if all cultural groups recognize same facial expressions.
o A smiling monkey can actually mean aggression.
• Scientists are NOT SURE why antidepressant drugs work.
• We are NOT SURE if we never really forget anything we have experienced.
• Each memory