January 21, 13
Cosmological Submission and Social Hierarchies
- Pg78: How do the Rabbis reconcile G1:27?
“So G-d created humankind in his image, in the image of G-d he
created them; male and female he created them.”
^first part it talks in a singular and the second part is a plural.
Genesis Rabbah 18.4 – There‟s 2 Eves – R. Judah – First he created
her for him and then he made her again. They were full of discharge
and blood which was disgusting and G-d destroyed the first Eve. –
what this does to women – how people view women. Social orders and
Reflective of their social context. -
- Pg81: What is the value of the rib? What does that say about
women‟s tendencies and the proper social order? (Genesis Rabbah
- Giving examples from the great women of the bible to show how
“crappy” they are.
- Rib = modesty – tucked away, always concealed – also the bone is
always concealed by the skin. – Only valued if you are modest and
- No examples of positive qualities.
- If one is not modest then they are a coquette, etc…
- We “know” if she isn‟t modest then she is all of the other listed
- All the listed things = the breakdown of social cohesion. – What
men understand to be social disorder.
- 81: In Genesis Rabbah 18.2, why the rib?
- 81-82: In Genesis Rabbah 17.8, what does earth and bone say
about men‟s and women‟s tendencies?
- 84:85: What‟s the difference between Adam and Eve‟s beauty and
why is there a difference?
- 92: The curses on Eve are pretty serious in „Erubin 100b, but Sotah
12b has a softer side. There what restores a woman‟s body to her
- If a woman listens to her husband she will have birth w/o pain.
- But women will never be able to get to it.
- If a baby dies, it is b/c she was a rebel and didnt listen to her
Christian Sources: - 134: Origen srts up a need for harmony between pairs, how does
this play out in his discussion of the soul?
- ^When men and women are at harmony the world is too.
- If you are a man who goes a stray you are like a harlot, if you are a
woman you are at the will of the man (spirit).
- 149-51: Augustine separates the 2 Creation stories into spiritual
and physical. What does that mean for his notion of women‟s social
role as a helper? – purpose is to procreate not toil
- 152: Augustine has A and E share the sin, and says that E is not
punished “literally” for it. Why? So why does she have to obey her
husband like a slave?
- 117: In the letters of Paul, why is there no longer male and female
in the egalitarian reasons? To what degree was this reflected in real
- 117-8: In the hierarchical readings in the letters of Paul, we see a
focus on the body and what is natural and unnatural. Christ is the
head of every man, husband is the head of the wife, jus