RLG309 Reading #2- Religion- Jeff Haynes
- What are the political consequences of the involvement of religion in politics?
- At the beginning of the 21 century, there are few regions of the world where religion is not a
factor in political conflict.
- Distinguish between religion at the individual and group levels. Politics concerned with religion
at group level. Consequences for the value system .
The Developing World
- It was widely believed that as countries developed, they would secularize.
- Developing countries have many different ways of governing themselves
- Colonialism supported secular states, and in the developing countries attempt to gain
independence from colonization, they cast out secular politics and turned to religion.
- Many post-colonial governments expanded state power, and equated secularization with
modernization. However this modernization produced feelings of alienation in many people, who
turned to their religious communities, using religion to achieve socio-political goals.