RLG100 Lecture feb 4
- Jainism took ahimsa (non violence) to the radical end
- Notion of meditation is evident in these 3 religions.
- Balgerana (third sect in Buddhism, in the book read it)
- Zen Buddhism states that awakening can hit you any time and it is instantaneous
- Read about Tabatum Buddhism
- Buddhism does not exclude you being something else. Eg, you can be both
Christian and Buddhist.
- The problem with Hinduism is that it is a vast religion. Eg, you can be a Hindu
that does not believe in Gods, you can be a Hindu that believes in one god, you
can be a Hindu who can believe in many gods, etc.
- Hindus reconfigured the Vedas. Meaning, Hinduism is not a Vedic religion and it
is a new religion since they reconfigured the Vedas.
- Upanishads are the text that allowed Hindus to keep the Vedas but reconfigure
- Hinduism says that the solution given by Jainism and Buddhism is radical.
- Eg, you have to become a monk (no marrying, no eating etc) to practice
Buddhism and Jainism properly.
- Nivritti tradition (for the elite, those who are interested in Moksha) and pravritii
tradition (for the householder: those who engage in the world)
- Since majority of the people will chose the Pravritti tradition, dharma becomes
- The dharma is the universal rule of law that governs this universe. Dharma is
rules according to the caste you belong to.
- Hinduism says each human being lives according to their situation and