March 5th, 2013▯ RLG203: LEC8
Violence and Non-Violence
1. What would Jesus do?
2. Crusades and Just War
3. Love your enemies and Christian Paciﬁsm
Essay: Friday March 15th, hard copy at DSR (170 st georges street), by 4:30 and
electronic copy at turnitin by midnight
• Include AI statement (see Tumblr)
• Turnitin ID: 6212733/ password: Nazareth
Violence: What is it?
What Would Jesus Do? Matthew 10: 34-35
Crusades: 11th-13th Centuries
• Wars between Europeans and Ottomans, or Christians and MUslims
• Battles over territory in “Holy Land” and what is now Europe
• Provides a legacy of violent Christian response to conﬂict, especially with respect to
• Driven by missionary and apocalyptic imaginations
Church, State, and Violence
• The Roman Church aiding the Byzantine Empire
• Perception of the threat of Muslim attacks throughout Southern Europe
• Sense of the “soiling” of the Holy Lands
• At the time of the “Papal Monarchy”
• Sense of God on the side of the crusaders
St. Francis of Assisi: Crusader or Paciﬁst?