November 22, 2012
- Compassion, Transcendence, Hope
- The need for a compassion that retains the experience of the Other
as their own experience
- ^Not one which re-ascribes or re-defines the suffering of others.
- Not one which assumes that we can ever fully feel what other are
- Due to different life experiences we can never put ourselves in
someone else’s shoes.
- Compassion – we are suffering on behalf of another.
- Connects to Arnault
- ^When one’s perception of suffering over one’s own compassion for
others overtakes that very compassion.
- Distinctions between suffering with, suffering for, and suffering
- Philosophical and religious examinations of suffering and evil “may
provide resources… for reflection on the religious problem of
- Precision language is key.