November 15, 12
- Adam and Eve
- Historical association of women with evil properties and/or a
fragility which leads itself to occupation by evil entities.
- The “Devil/s Gateway”
- Women as a bodily force through which evil can ct, and the actual
“gateway” through which all humans pass during birth.
- Women cannot escape a physical connection to evil, du to their
- Through this association, which has lasted centuries, and which
does still exist today, investigators of the concept of evil have been
- Not only are these portrayals of women wrong, they are damaging
- “I think therefore I am”
- Men historically associated with the mind
- ^Analytic, philosophical, logical
- Women associated with the body
- ^nature, childbirth, attending to the bodily needs of others.
- Women considered responsible for men’s morality in terms of
- If a man finds himself aroused by a woman, it is not his desire
which is considered culpable, but her temptation
- General association of women as sexual beings (sex = body)
- “women serve as scapegoats for the evil men fear in themselves”
- Projection on to women
- Possible fear over the irrational ecstasy of sexual pleasure
- Even today: the issue of birth control
- ^If it is permitted, the most invasive forms of birth control are
- Along with sexuality and arousal, we have the taboo against
menstruation – the “first known taboo” and “the curse”
- Associated with demonic possession or punishment for sins and
- ^Further, “paying the price for an essential evil that is part of her
- The common beliefs that no Christian should receive the eucharist
the morning after he or she had sexual relations.
- This destructive power, an expression of evil in the world, was
capitalized on… - Women lacking logical reasoning – instead being subject to
emotionalism – women are considered to lack the capacity for
- This leads to fear of bestowing power on women, lest it
inconsciously be used for evil.
- ^women are confined to the home – a place where morality may
arise, but it can do so under the watchful eye of a father, husband,
- Women who pursue a life outside the home often had to turn to
- ^Those who attempted would be subject to physical harm
- The body serves only as a vessel for the soul
- ^Evil resides in the female body, and restricts or confines the soul.
- The body must reproached i