RLG341H1 Lecture Notes - Pawnbroker, Judah Halevi, Baruch Spinoza
15 views3 pages
February 25, 13
Daniel Deronda Cont.
- Agnostic – but interested in religious debates.
- Background – Low Church Anglican (Methodism/Evangelical) –
Environment in which she grew up – Bible is the literal word of G-d
– filter all beliefs through that principle.
- The passion and intensity in the life and death of Jesus.
- Didn't know a living Jew until the 1950’s
- Read Josephus in 1940’s.
- Shaken by Darwinism.
- Sealed her off from Christianity all together.
- David Friedrich Strauss – The life of Jesus – Secularized humanistic
account of Jesus – Marry translated this from German to English.
- Judah Halevi – cultural hero of Modern Zionism
- Also translated Feuerbach and Spinoza.
- 5 Themes:
- 1) Images of Jews – Cursing (Evil eye during the gambling scene)
- When G runs out of money she sells her necklace to a pawnbroker
(pg 13/14) “G’s dominant regret was that after all she had only
nine louis…” – Pawnbrokers are a middle-man – The Jew as middle-
man – unproductive.
- Deronda (a Jew) is a “redeemer” – he’s a mediating figure between
Christianity and Judaism. – He also never renounces Christianity.
- Pg. 165 – Meera and Deronda – she tries to commit suicide –
rescues her – He redeems it.
- Set between 1864 and 1866
- Lapidoth is actually last named Cohen
- 183 – Last 10 lines – they are heading back to Germany – someone
referring to another as “one of those clever Jews” – Jewish women
are seducers of Christian men…etc…
- 313 – Meera’s own father mocks Judaism.
- The musician – Klesmer – Jew – Music identified with Jews –
Working in the circles of upper crust English Society but very
different from them.
- 206 – things about him ^ and others.
- Elijah Klesmer – Wandering Jew. – Comes from Middle Ages – Fable
– When Jesus was being crucified a Jew mocked him and G-d
cursed him to wander eternally.
- He’s a man of the world – ruthless – also figure of fear – relates to
Jews under Feudal Europe.
- 175 – 177 – Deronda’s first extended thought on Jews and Judaism.
Agnostic but interested in religious debates. Background low church anglican (methodism/evangelical) . Environment in which she grew up bible is the literal word of g-d. The passion and intensity in the life and death of jesus. Didn"t know a living jew until the 1950"s. Sealed her off from christianity all together. David friedrich strauss the life of jesus secularized humanistic account of jesus marry translated this from german to english. Judah halevi cultural hero of modern zionism. 1) images of jews cursing (evil eye during the gambling scene) Deronda (a jew) is a redeemer he"s a mediating figure between. 165 meera and deronda she tries to commit suicide rescues her he redeems it. 183 last 10 lines they are heading back to germany someone referring to another as one of those clever jews jewish women are seducers of christian men etc . 313 meera"s own father mocks judaism. The musician klesmer jew music identified with jews .