SOCC W8 – after reading week
Early School Leaving among Immigrants in Toronto Secondary School
(Asante; Dei, etc.)
o Study of knowledge
o How we teach knowledge
o How we do research ?
- The above 3 are the only differences that come from black-focused schools.
- It is not segregating but our schools are failing particular students and there
is diff philosophy that is available to teach our student
- Students feel disrespected and profile and receive harassment
- How do we engage with students in a different manner?
o Sacred and cherished
- This idea is not new, just hasn’t been thought as legitimate
- Anyone can attend school but what they will receive within it is knowledge in
a different manner.
- This is attempt of school that rewrite people into history and schooling
- Prof thinks it becomes problematic of what is written Africentric things today
- We all interact in this place together. We cant say black people cant do this
thing with someone else, receive sufficient training in this job, etc.
- Names like Africentric already has political feature that racism are happening
Difference between education and schooling
o Class where people talk at you
o Where you learn
- When kids learn they are being harassed by teachers, when particular
students have low expectation for certain students, when their communities
are disrespected… they lost interest in schooling
- School is violent (through profiling and harassment)
o Drop out
o Push out
Continues to build up until people are kicked out
Either by cops, t