September 21 2011
- Culture is a set of practices or symbols that somehow fulfill the human need
to lower anxiety, etc.
- Culture guides us on how we are suppose to act
- Superstitions differ from culture
o Culture is passed through generation, it is collective
o People must interact socially to transmit culture
- Culture: is the sum of socially transmitted ideas, practices, and material
objects that people create to overcome real life problems. Culture gives us
guidelines for how to act.
- Society: exists when people interact and share culture generally in a
geographically limited area
- Hero’s Apologize, 1 Century c.e
o He used this idea and created the first steam engine.
- The Atanasoff-Berry Digital Computer, circa 1939
- We take culture for granted
- Understanding the culture of other people is difficult because we consider
the practices of those cultures.
- ETHNOCENTRISM: invluves judging another culture exclusively by the
standards of one’s own.
- CULTURAL RELATIVISM is the belief that all elements of all cultures should
be respected as equally valid.
- “twin dangers”
-> Aspects of culture both frees us and constrains us:
o More opportunity for cultural expression than ever be