• Words and music
• Agustine says he can condon music in worship dependent on the words it
conveys. If it obstructs the words then he's singing.
• The idea we have is that music and words have to fit together
• There are at least two ways music and words are supposed to fit
• Structurally: music is not going to violate the words. The stresses have to be
logical rhythem and notes have to be right.
• Semantically: meaning of the words. If the words are joyful you'll expect that
the music may match these words
• For unto us a child is born - joyful mood, no, I'd voi non vo fidarmi (blind
love, cruel beauty, somebody has been treated - wont trust them again) yet
the music is the same as for unto us a child is born
• We must think of this theory of a structural Match and a semantically match.
But there is also some flexibility.
• Divine order (cosmos) ---> words
• ---> music