March 20 2012
Eating Idols in the temple
1 Corinthians 8-10
- The elite feel as though they should do this.
- Knowledge puffs up, wisdom builds up
- Think of the members of the community
- Think of the weaker members of the community
- Chapter 9 is an analysis of “I” and his own history
- Point of chapter 9 “of course I had the right, but I chose not to use the right for the sake of the
- makes an appeal to the OT
- He is going back to 8 but is now a little more tough
- If you practice these things, you can get caught up in the things that they represent
- We see two words are very important introduced here.
- (gk) koinonia = (lat) communion (eng) communion
- Table of the lord = (lat) caina Domonia
- V.16 this is the first mention of the eucharaist
- “participation” = sharing /communion of Christ
- V.17 = in sharing in the bread and in Christ we all share in one another
- We are drawn into one bread, and by doing so we are drawn into on another.
- “Church makes the Eucharist and the Eucharist makes the Church”
- The church makes the Eucharist meaningful, and in doing so, the Eucharist builds up the church.
Do all things for the g