November 15 2011
A –Old Testament
- Gospel of Justification through faith, if we lose the doctrine of justification then we lose
- Luther is very Christocentric
- Mix of Theocentric or Christocentric, they focus on God or on Christ
- Luther thinks God is beyond our understanding so we must focus on Christ cause he is what we
- Its easy to say Christ died for the sins of others but what defines our faith is that he died for OUR
- Read three texts from Calvin
- If luther is the most important person in unleashing the reformation, and leaving his personal
stand on the Movement.
- Calvin carries Luther’s work forward developing it in new ways and practical wins, it reaches
beyond the Germanic world to France Scottland England and the English speaking world.
- Calvin was more of a Church organizer but a systematic theologian bringing things together to
have an overall connection to everything
- Calvin produced the institutes for the Christian Religion.
- Calvin born in France July the 10 1509, younger than Luther, moving into the next generation
- Studied arts at the University of Paris
- Went to another university to study law, Orleans was the university that was very influenced by
- He develops the discipline and rules that will influence his theological work at this time.
- 1544 at some point Calvin (age 25) under went a religious conversion that he never tells us
- First it made him a serious Christian, second it won him over to the reform movement
- It also gave him a deep sense of vocation to the reform movement
- 1535 he goes to Basil (Basel) and he will end up in Ge