March 8 2012
- 1:10 - 4:21 general response to division and the real problems behind the division superior
- Something has already happened and changed, a gift has been given because of the Crucified
Christ. Yet there is still a future, something to come.
- Already and the Not Yet. Some documents emphasize what we have been given what we are
now, while others focus on what we are heading towards.
- Paul emphasizes the Not Yet the day of the lord the judgement etc.
- Hellenistic wisdom speculation that comes from and reflects Philo and Apollos.
- Paul might have tried to say, what are the good things involved in Hellenistic wisdom
speculation. Paul makes no effort to find a common ground but simply confronts them because
they are so far gone taking the Christ crucified off the cross.
- Christ crucified on the cross is a gift that can only be understood by the grace of God
- The people are spiritually immature.
- 5-6 contain further reactions to things he have learned,
- 7 Paul responds to questions from a letter of believers
- 5-6 addresses 3 issues that can be called a Call for Community Discipline
- Incest, civil courts, some of the community are having casual sexual relations with prostitutes.
- The community is not addressing the issues which Paul confronts.
- Chapter 5 Comments:
- Here is something that was reported to Paul, telling