Tuesday October 25 2011th
Augustine, Commentary on the literal interpretation of Genesis.
- 388 or possibly 389 he writes this
- He starts with the literal meaning of this text
- But he ends by interpreting it in an allegorical way
- In 391 he tries again and gives up and doesn’t publish it
- At the end of his life he decides to publish it as an unfinished books
- The third attempt is a different from a commentary but is the last three books of his work
known as the confessions
- He looks at time and eternity and the kinds of things god was doing before time
- In 415 he wrote the text we are reading this week took him 10 years to write
- The last and final attempt was in City of God and here he talked about the Origin of Sin,
Basil of Caesarea
- Wrote a book called the Hexaemeian
- He read Origens works as well
- Book 6 deals with the creation of Humans as detailed in Chapter 2 of Genesis.
- What is the relationship between Chapter 1 v. 27 and the creation of human beings in chapter 2
- Are the two texts referring to the same creative act? Or are they two separate acts of creation?
- He opts for the second possibility
Chapter 2 is