October 27 2011
Gregory the Great
- Lived in a time of considerable turmoil in Italy
- As a young man Greg was attracted to monastic life, he was talented and the bishop of Rome
asked him to be a deacon.
- He was acting diplomat, on a mission to
- Moralia in Job the moral teaching in Job, however moral meaning life, and expectations God
has for us.
- He was not caught up in Augustines concerns. By his time the world had changed form that of
- They were confronting a Pagan world that was dying but was still there, trying to formulate a
Christian understanding of the world over the Pagan one
- Greg problems were to how to get Christians to become Christians.
- TO greg, this was THE CHALLENGE, nothing else a pastoral challenge. A challenge dealing with
morality and spirituality.
- In this book he tries to meet this challenge.
- Tropological Meaning, farfetched
Bernard of Clair Vaux
- He represents a renewal movement in the tradition ironically after his death Monasticism loses
its popularity it had.
- After his death there is a shift from rural society to an urban one out of wich occurs Dominic and
the mendican orders.
- He was seen as the Last of the Fathers for his use of Scripture.
- Born near Dijon 1090 in an aristocratic family. Several of his family were knights.
- Deeply affected person. Sensitive to feelings
- At 22 he enters a monastery at Citaux which was set up by reformed Monks.
- Within a short time he founds a new monestary at Clavaoux
- Came to become a movement known as Cistersians
- We are going to read one article from his Summa Theoglica, Summary of theology which
develops meaning of different theologies. Monasticism:
- Monestaries were the dominate religious institutions from the 7 to 12 centries
- They were major cultural centers for learning
- Rise of universities