Double predestination and election
Book 2: redemption, redeemer
What evidence of Anselm’s theory of satisfaction?
Calvin’s treatment different?
Topic of chapter as whole (context) influencing or changing interpretation of theory
- God – Man
- Restoration of balance
- Language of necessity and biblical specificity (not God-Man in abstract but
only biblical context, reason within bible alone), wrath, debt & obligation,
appeasement of God’s hatred… – difference in Calvin
- In Anselm: God just, rewards and Jesus, salvation… merit and reward…
- prophet – teach, King – protects, only offer satisfaction as priest – Anselm
theme offered alongside… one of things Christ does
- God’s wrath appeased through blood, punishment – penile satisfaction
- Hating corruption… hating us but finds what is good in us
- Doesn’t fundamnetlaly