March 13, 2012
Love ethnographic journal
• Confusing, never done ethnography before
• Hard at first because love is very broad
• Not sure if ethnography is done as an insider or from outsider perspective
What ethnography does
• Makes strange familiar. Deeper understanding of the unfamiliar to
comprehend and to relate to.
• Makes familiar strange. How to make things in our own culture less familiar,
less taken for granted.
• Experiment how it will work out
• Could have more structure and more formal requirements
• To make it easier, less formal, experiment with own observations
How ethnography can be done
• Can do it chronologically, can go back to older entries to revise and reflect
• Chronological not mandatory
Note: Article added for next week
Love and Mediascape
Mediascape: media has become globalized, transnational.
• Sometimes predictable ways
• Sometimes unpredictable ways. Example: Bollywood films popularity in
TBB199.Proff. H. Wardlow.March132012.EJH.SP 2
The media flow has huge impact. Allows people to have different ways of thinking
about ways, different relationships,
Ethnoscape: people move across national boundaries.
Reasons for globalization of people:
• Financial reasons. Better economic opportunities. Aspirations of better
opportunity for child. Maybe not the best opportunities for parent but best for
Jennifer Herse: anthropology and public health
• Health consequences of those social cultural changes.
• Implications of transmission of HIV. If men are spending a lot of the time of
the year at another country. Concerns of the sexual practices of men when
they are away.
How have marriages and expectations change in Deguyaho
• More cofcus on wife’s used.
Marriage only successful if romantic rove sustained.
Is this globalization or Americanisation. Regional shift in ideas.
Ideas: are not just free floating and absorbed by people. People act on these ideas,
politically and economically influenced. all ideas to be manifested
TBB199.Proff. H. Wardlow.March132012.EJH.SP 3
Needs of another nation could follow the hierarchy of needs. Needing lower needs
first building up to higher needs.
Military base in S. Korea
Icescape: construct that gets into other nations across the globe. The idea gets
changed, tailored to the receiving nation.
Women are waiting a lot more years to have children. Lower income women have
Less agricultural labour, more
Electricity, running water, satellite, porn.
Separation for parents, more privacy.
Lives of men when they are working overseas. What type of lives are they living?
• Landscaping, gardening
• Living in shacks, 10 person/house
• Engaging in menial labour, long hours, not paid well. By standards from
where they are coming from. They ideally