November 8th, 2012
- Backlash or "culture jamming"
- this is when intelligent people say, "I know what you're doing" and "I want to use
- an acknowledgement that our life is a spectacle
- through billboards, tv, radio, internet, etc. - we realize that there is a problem with this
- we are on all the time - we are being manipulated
- we have a feeling inside of "mediacy" - we want to know the reason behind why we
- Guy de Bord was one of the ﬁrst to look at culture jamming
- he said he was going to refuse this and be open to chance
- born in 1931 died in 1994
- wrote "The Society of the Spectacle"
- we have to remain open to what is going on in our society, and in the process discover
what we hate
- created the idea of the "ﬂaneur" - someone who is wealthy, independent, free, and has
no aim but who questions and critiques what is going on in society
- one of his tactics was known as "detournement" - turning something around - the trace
is still there, but the meaning or purpose of it is changed
- e.g. putting an extra element into an advertisement and appropriating it in your own
- ads are private spaces in public environments - does this give us a right to appropriate
- we have become members of the democracy of false desire - we have tons of choices to
fulﬁll our desire, but actually it's all the same, and we don't really want it anyways
- advocating an awareness of pushing back at society and saying that we know what is
going on and we don't accept it
- How can we become human beings and not desensitized by the spectacle that informs
us every day?
- our society is hyper real
- Lasn - runs Adbusters - talks about "uncooling" media frenzy - wants to uncool
brands, cars, fast food, etc.
- start thinking about the true cost of our marketplace
- let's start uncooling the spectacle - promoting ad-free environments, no product
- the Yes Men!, culture jamming
- taking elements of our culture and saying, "Let's push back."
- ﬂash mobs - faux-tests instead of "protests"
- once these tactics come into place, they become strategies
- facebook suicide or defacebooking - culture jam
- de-malling - wanting to go into smaller stores rather than malls - cash-mob = people
get together, choose a store in their neighbourhood, and all go in and spend money
- "greening" doesn't work - what is organic? - "green" was appropriated in the 70's to
point out the bad effects of people on the environment - as a shade of colour it came to
mean peace, but it took on other meanings, like technophobic, clean, pure, organi