Jan 8th - Class One - Introductions
• Prof. going through syllabus
• She will post slides up before class
• She writes comments on your assignments except for the final essay, but
if you really want her input on it she could do it.
What is Survivalism?
• Persistence in the aftermath of a disaster
• It is a movement of different group who is actively preparing for
• Survival skills (bunker skills)
How does feminism have to do with survivalism?
• What might come after disaster?
• What different version of that future will look like?
• Offer different perspectives
• Question of reproductivity
• Secure reproductive labor
• World of survivalism is a sexist one
• "mommy I am hungry, mommy i am hungry, daddy i am thirsty" poster,
implying that you can survive for weeks without food, but only days without
• The idea that to protect his family is the man's responsibility, paternal
• Imagining what is the future look like, often attached to the children.
• hoarding resources, claiming territories, fortifying security, securing
• History of violence and history of resistance
• Survivalist ethics
• The way to look at ruin landscape as risky, full of threatening others, but
profitable as well
• neoliberal economic theory
• imagine devastated lands
• "iraq is open for business", free market can come in, people can invest
• gentrification, for example Detroit (fallen into ruine)
• Found the world again with the image i prefer
• New world (all kinds of violence founded the new world or just a new world
after disaster) • N