For unlimited access to Class Notes, a Class+ subscription is required.
CRIME AND THE MIND
- 4 different models of the mind. The law is based on the fact that each model contributes to
our understanding of criminal behavior.
*Traditional legal model
* Psychological model (psychiatry is included)
* social/political models
- the law connects to the mind with the common doctrine of intent you should only
punish people when they are purposely committing a crime
1) Traditional legal model
it is a form of VOLUNTARISM- some say we make voluntary choices which we can be
we are in control of our own behaviour and should be punished
2) Psychological model
- DETERMINISM (opposite from voluntary)
- We are NOT making choices. When we choose between 2 colour suits it is not a choice,
there is psychological connection determining a choice
- when people commit crimes they are not responsible for it. They didn’t have a choice
committing a crime
- Becomes an excuse
- we usually think of the mind as a psychologist does. We tend to accept the physiological
model more than the traditional legal. We think of the mind psychologically.
when we think of the medieval world we know that they are not scientists but humans
are inventive and made diff weapons. When the doctorine of intent was made (you are only
blamed based on your intent). They weren’t ingenious
in the renaissance they were more interested in machines and architects. They made
clocks. Clocks are a metophor for the notion of the movement of the planets. To understand
the motion of the hands you need to understand inside the clock. Its not because of god or
magic. You open the back to see what makes it go. It’s the initution that whatever you are
experiencing there must be a complex inner working of the mind that make it possible.
What were thinking must have a clockwork inside that makes it happen
- to understand the mind allows us to know the inside, not whats outside
- * we don’t want to know just about thoughts and actions but THE INNER WORKINGS
THAT MAKE IT POSSIBLE ie neuroscience, info processing. UNDERSTANDING THE INNER
WORKING MAKES US UNDERSTAND THE MIND
- Nature of machines: machines have 3 parts 1) power mechanism 2) steering 3) carriage
capacity. A car only works when you have all the bits working together.Things can go
wrong in the machine ie the engine.