Fall 2016

Department
Psychology
Course Code
PSYC 201
Professor
Stephen Lindsay
Lecture

This preview shows half of the first page. Sign up to view the full 2 pages of the document.
PSYC 201 Dr.Lindsay Lecture 19: Factorial Designs
2x2 between subjects allows you to examine the differences between the four conditions
and the differences that they each hold
o Can characterize the results in various ways
i.e. the mean being represented for each group then to be compared to each
other, then added across the two (marginal mean) conditions
o Interested in several different questions
Was there a main effect of one variable?
Overall were there a different score for two conditions?
Was there an interaction between the conditions?
o Is the overall averages going to be different from each other?
Line graphs can show interaction and main effects more than bar graphs
Need to average the subgroups of each conditions to determine if there is a main effect to
show whether or not there is a significant difference between the two conditions
A good strategy to determine if there is a difference; if the group sizes are about the same
then the mean of the groups would be roughly in the middle of the measures (see lecture
slides) [will be on the exam]
o Determine if the two points are distant form each other/if there is a significant
difference
You can tell at a glance whether or not there will be a tendency of an interaction, because
the lines are not parallel
Whether or not it is statistically significant depends on how large the groups are, how
much variability there are in the groups, and how big the interaction is.
The effect of one IV depends upon the other IV
Tendency of interaction is consistent of group congruency between two variables
Interaction effect: "cross-over" interaction, the direction of difference is important, there
can be a flip of the direction of the effect
Simple Effect Tests (post-hoc comparisons)
When a significant interaction occurs you want to perform a simple effect test as a way of
further exploring the data and looking at the effect of one IV separately at each level of
conditions
Includes doing two t-tests to see the difference between the conditions at each level
Orthogonally crossed= independently crossed
2x2 factorial design has three effects
Factorial Designs with Subject (Participant) Variables [non-manipulated]
Such as gender, ethnicity, age
Cannot change these variables but can create a factorial experiment using these variables
as the comparison groups
o i.e. boys vs. girls
Unlikely to happen by a fluke of chance
2x2 Within-subject Factorial Design
Same people tested at the time of each condition
Same individual tested in all four conditions
Would have advantages; not a large group of people, flukes of random assignment
couldn't account for your assignment because everyone has to go through each condition
Would try to counterbalance the order of each task for each individual
2x2 mixed-model factorial design
One of the IV are manipulated between subject and one IV is manipulated within subjects
2x3 Factorial Design
More than two levels of one or the other IV's
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
PSYC 201 Dr.Lindsay Lecture 19: Factorial Designs  2x2 between subjects allows you to examine the differences between the four conditions and the differences that they each hold o Can characterize the results in various ways  i.e. the mean being represented for each group then to be compared to each other, then added across the two (marginal mean) conditions o Interested in several different questions  Was there a main effect of one variable?  Overall were there a different score for two conditions?  Was there an interaction between the conditions? o Is the overall averages going to be different from each other?  Line graphs can show interaction and main effects more than bar graphs  Need to average the subgroups of each conditions to determine if there is a main effect to show whether or not there is a significant difference between the two conditions  A good strategy to determine if there is a difference; if the group sizes are about the same then the mean of the groups would be roughly in the middle of the measures (see lecture slides) [will be on the exam] o Determine if the two points are distant form each other/if there is a significant difference  You can tell at a glance whether or not there will be a tendency of an interaction, because the lines are not parallel  Whether or not it is statistically significant depends on how large the groups are, how much variability there are in the groups, and how big the interaction is.  The effect of one IV depends upon the other IV  Tendency of interaction is consistent of group co
More Less
Unlock Document

Only half of the first page are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

You've reached the limit of 4 previews this month

Create an account for unlimited previews.

Already have an account?

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit