PSYC 210 Lecture Notes - Lecture 3: Empiricism, Visual Cortex, Bereitschaftspotential

33 views3 pages

Document Summary

Part of our knowledge and concepts is acquired independently of sensory experience. Knowledge is mostly built from sensory experience. Learning machine = babies; child is looking for a human face immediately after he/she born. Locke argued that intuition and reason cannot be completely developed through experience alone. Some of his views on mental abilities are very similar to those developed by descartes. However, unlike descartes though, locke argued that a great number of mental abilities thought to be innate were actually the product of sensory experience. A simple idea = cannot be analyzed further. Cannot be analyzed further with language or any other tool. A complex idea = made up of simpler components. Note: simple is being used to refer to our mental world. A simple idea = learned by directly perceiving them. Lo(cid:272)ke(cid:859)s ideas of a(cid:374) (cid:862)idea(cid:863) (cid:862)whatever the (cid:373)i(cid:374)d per(cid:272)eives i(cid:374) itself, or is the i(cid:373)(cid:373)ediate o(cid:271)je(cid:272)t of per(cid:272)eptio(cid:374), thought, or u(cid:374)dersta(cid:374)di(cid:374)g. (cid:863)

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers