5-350 (38)
Lecture 19

Outline of Lecture 19

2 Pages
Unlock Document

University of Windsor
Biological Sciences
Asish Mukhopadhyay

Outline of Lecture 19 Sex Determination and Differentiation I. Embryologic origin of the reproductive system - At 4 week, intermediate mesoderm gives rise to mesonephros; the mesonephric (Wolffian) ducts give rise to epididymis and vas deferens in male - At 6 week, intermediate mesoderm give rise to paramesonephric (Müllerian) ducts, which give rise to oviducts and uterus in female - Hox genes are involved in A/P patterning of urogenital tract - Primordial germ cells - Arise in primitive streak and endoderm, migrate to yolk sac, then back to genital ridge - Migration requires Steel factor - In females, number of germ cells spikes the quickly falls in fetus, and experiences steady decline throughout life; in males, number of germ cells are constantly renewed - Can be used as a source of embryonic stem cells - Fate of PGC (male G arrest, female prophase I arrest) in embryo is determined 1 by environment, but postnatal fate depends on genetic makeup II. Control of sexual development A) It is a sequential process: genetic sex  gonadal sex  phenotypic sex B) Gonad, urogenital sinus, external genitalia, etc. develop from bipotential precursors C) Default pathway is female; SRY is the testis-determining factor - Testis development requires SRY, a txn factor coded by the Y chromosome - Other factors besides SRY also determine sex - Wt-1 and SF-1 needed for gonad development - SOX9 has similar role to SRY
More Less

Related notes for 5-350

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.