Biological Sciences
Course
55-101
Professor
Habetler
Semester
Fall

Description
Outline of Lecture 36 (03-05 A; Shadmehr) Motor System I – Spinal Motor System I. Major components of motor system Parietal cortex: visual and proprioceptive processing gives positional info Motor cortex: compute forces needed to cause desired motor action Brainstem: tells spinal cord how to maintain balance during movement Spinal cord: effects movement, reflex stability, and relays sensory info Cerebellum: multijoint movements, posture, and motor learning Basal ganglia: learning and stability of movements, emotional aspects of movement II. Motor system diseases A) How spinal cord injury results in paralysis - Initial injury in small region  growth of damaged area  hemorrage of blood vessels  cyst, swelling, and cell death - Glu release  neuron excitotoxicity and glia apoptosis - Paralysis can be partially overcome with direct electrical stimulation from neural prosthetic B) Other diseases/conditions - Polio: virus kills motoneurons directly, post-polio syndrome includes motor unit enlargement followed by muscle breakdown - ALS: slow degeneration of motorneurons and motor cortex - Motor stroke: spinal motoneurons not affected, but central control is weak - Rigor mortis: stiff muscles after death, no ATP available for myosin detachment III. Properties of muscle fibers and muscle movement - Extrafusal vs intrafusal fibers and relationship to αand γ motoneurons - There is an optimum force of contraction with respect to muscle
More Less

Related notes for 55-101

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit