BIOL 2101 Lecture Notes - Lecture 5: Atlantic Cod, Logistic Function, Exponential Growth

45 views6 pages

Document Summary

Population ecology: the study of population dynamics of species and how populations interact with the environment. Fished out migratory genes; selecting for those fish and leaving nowhere for stationary fish. Cod numbers went down and prey base went down. Factors limit: birth rate and death rate, including immigration and emigration (open system) Stable equilibrium: will fluctuate based on environmental changes s l a u d i (cid:448) i d (cid:374) i f o r e (cid:271) (cid:373) u. Populations may increase or decrease in both the short term and in the long term. Population: group of conspecific individuals that inhabit a particular area. Members of a population have a higher probability of reproducing among themselves. Closed population: one that is isolated from other groups of the same species. Population size (n) is determined soley by births (b or m) and deaths (d) Population size increases from one time (t) until the next time (t+1) whenever m exceeds d.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers